Monday, May 29

Recent events - Owen

I hope that it's clear from this blog that I love Owen very much. That said, he's driving me absolutely f*&#ing crazy. There are two main issues that have emerged in the last week.

First, bedtime, which was on a very nice track, is now completely haywire. He doesn't just need someone to lie in his room as he falls asleep (something he was getting out of, for what it's worth), he now tries to renegotiate going to sleep in the first place. In the past week, bedtimes have become 2 hour tear-laden ordeals, and Owen's not the only one crying.

Second, mealtimes have become crazy. Owen will now only eat applesauce, yogurt, pudding, and "hot doggie." I made him a frittata Saturday morning and he wouldn't even try one bite. I can understand if he tries it and doesn't like it, but to not even have the one F-ing bite is really unacceptable. I offered him some trout today, and he wouldn't eat a bite, after I took the skin off. He wouldn't try pizza bagel. So we have these absurd scenes where he cries and says "hot doggie" while I cry and say, "one bite then hot doggie." I remember so well when he used to eat curries and sushi. Now cheese with egg is too adventuresome for him. If anyone has any solutions, or, equally helpful, a way I can blame this on Bridgette, I would love to hear it.

There have, however, been some really nice times this weekend. Owen's started singing along with music (though not well; don't look for him on the next season of American Idol) and he really gets into it. It's very sweet. And he and I spent a ton of time outside playing this weekend, which has left me really tired and achy, but I feel very close to him (or did before tonight's bedtime).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Matt--

I have one comment for your frustration with your adorable son--and it's some advice my mother, your gran, used to give me about my adorable children when they got all weird and didn't do what I wanted--trying to assert THEIR opinions... when mine we're better.

"patience...this too shall pass..."

And you know what? It was good advice and ususally right.

Love and thanks for all the memories you bring to light for me of those good old days...hee hee hee hee... did I mention I'm so happy my children are 26 and 24!!! Kidding, of course.

Like mother used to say..."ALL ages are fun". And here's the funny thing, she really meant that.

Remember, this too shall pass! So give them them extra hugs and kisses!

Sue