Sunday, January 1

Happy New Year!!

Happy New Year everyone! I'm not going to spend too much time blogging today, but I did want to wish everyone a happy new year and report that Owen and I (and to a lesser extent Bridgette) will be eating black eyed peas for luck in the new year (no, not these, although this is very catchy).

Also, when I was a kid, my Uncle Tom gave me a book called the Hodgepodge book which contains a lot of American superstitions and folklore. I was really captivated by the book, but have been unable to find a copy later (it's apparently out of print). Here's one person from Amazon who had some details about the book, but I've not been able to use them to find the book (there's a different, lamer book by the same title that is easy to find; folks looking for the book I'm talking about have formed something of an online community in the comments section of the lame book on the Amazon page):


I found out that the book that most of us recall from our youth is actually called: The Hodgepodge Book - an almanac of American folklore" and was written by Duncan Emrich. It was published by Four Winds Press and copywrited in 1972. Good luck in your searches.

It would be difficult to overstate how much I loved that book.

Anyway, this book said that you should spend part of New Years Day doing things you hope to do in the new year. So, I'm trying to spend a little time blogging, some time being very nice to Bridgette (I took Owen this morning so she could sleep in), some time playing with Owen, some time reading with Owen, and some time working out.

I hope you have a happy new year! Celebrate the day in a way that makes you happy.

No comments: