Monday, December 19

Owen at the Capital

This is another one from our trip to see Rosa Parks lie in state. We would have had to wait 5 hours (and two of them past Owen's bedtime) to make it into the Rotunda, so we decided to wait outside to see the funeral procession go buy.

Owen marked the occasion by trying to run in the street. We would up leaving early, but a couple of foreign tourists asked me what was going on and I got to explain who Rosa Parks was to a couple from somewhere in Asia (I'm guessing; they could have been from Germany but of Asian ancestory for all I know) and an Australian guy. I heard myself saying things like "it used to be that things between black people and white people weren't good in this country, or, rather, they used to be worse."

I was comforted by the idea that they weren't really paying attention.

No comments: